The "Wieliczka" Salt Mine is one of the oldest rock salt mines in the world. The "Wieliczka" Salt Mine has more than 7 centuries of exploitation of the salt deposit, 2,391 chambers and 245 km of galleries, 9 main levels at a depth of 57 to 327 meters.
In the "Wieliczka" Salt Mine, on the 3rd level, at a depth of 135 meters, there is the Cracow Saltworks Museum in Wieliczka. The Cracow Saltworks Museum founded in 1951, apart from the underground part, also has a second part on the surface in the medieval Saltworks Castle. The museum presents the history of the mine, tools and devices used to extract and transport salt, and the history of the city of Wieliczka.
The museum's collection consists of about 20,000 exhibits.
|The "Wieliczka" Salt Mine||281.||85||Poland||Wieliczka||Mining||More|
|The Broad||279.||113||USA||Los Angeles||Contemporary art||More|
The Broad opened to the public in 2015.
The Broad collection includes contemporary art from the 1950s to the present day. The entire collection includes over 2,000 works, including by: Jeff Koons, Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Yayoi Kusama, Ragnar Kjartansson, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Joseph Beuys, Jasper Johns, and Robert Rauschenberg. The Broad has the largest Cindy Sherman collection in the world.
The Broad building has an area of 11,150 square meters, of which 4,645 square meters is an exhibition space.
|The Huntington||264.||93||USA||San Marino||Library, art museum,... botanical gardens||More|
The Huntington - Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens founded in 1919, open to the public in 1928.
The library has approximately 11 million items from the 11th to 21st centuries.
The museum focuses on 18th and 19th century British painting and design (e.g. Thomas Gainsborough, Thomas Lawrence, William Morris) and American art from the 17th to 20th centuries (e.g. Mary Cassatt, Edward Hopper, Andy Warhol, Robert Rauschenberg).
The gardens cover 49 ha and show plants from all over the world.
Photo: The Huntington Library Exhibition Hall exterior
|Three Gorges Museum||51.||184||China||Chongqing||History||More|
Three Gorges Museum opened in 2005.
The museum covers an area of about 42,500 square meters. The exhibition hall itself has an area of about 23,200 square meters.
The main exhibitions are dedicated to:
- Glorious Three Gorges
- Ancient Ba-Yu - early history of Chongqing
- Chongqing: the City Road – 20th century history
In addition, the museum presents exhibitions: porcelain, calligraphy, painting, sculpture from the Han dynasty, coins.
|Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum||112.||125||Spain||Madrid||Art||More|
The Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum founded in 1992.
The collection includes 800 years of European painting.The collection includes 1,600 paintings painted by, among others: van Eyck, Dürer, Caravaggio, Rubens, van Dyck, Rembrandt, Goya, Delacroix, van Gogh, Pissarro, Munch, Chagall, Pollock, Rothko, Bacon.
|Tianjin Natural History Museum||218.||93||China||Tianjin||Natural history||More|
The origins of the Tianjin Natural History Museum date back to 1914. It has been operating in its present organizational form since 1952.
In the museum, we will see various dinosaurs such as: Tyrannosaurus Rex or Triceratops.
The museum houses over 400,000 geological, palaeontological and biological specimens.
The museum covers an area of 50,000 square meters, of which 35,000 square meters are in the buildings. Exhibition area of 14,000 square meters.
Tikal is a ruin of a Mayan city that functioned from the 4th century BC to the 10th century AD. The greatest development of the city of Tikal is in the years from about 200 to about 900.
The architecture of Tikal includes 6 main temples in the form of pyramids, the highest of which is 65 meters high, monumental royal palaces, smaller mansions, a number of administrative buildings, platforms, altars, lintels, stelae, burials.
Highlights of Tikal: Great Plaza, Central Acropolis, North Acropolis, South Acropolis, Plaza of the Seven Temples, Mundo Perdido, nine Twin-Pyramid Complexes.
The former city is located in Tikal National Park, which covers 575 square kilometers of jungle and thousands of ruined buildings.
Tikal National Park is home to the Stelae Museum and the Sylvannus G. Morley Museum.
|Tokyo Imperial Palace||145.||97||Japan||Tokyo||Historic house||More|
The main residence of the Emperor of Japan. A complex of buildings and pavilions for various purposes and gardens covering an area of 115 hectares. The current Imperial Palace is located within the former Edo Castle (Tokyo was formerly Edo). In 1888, the construction of the imperial castle was completed, which was destroyed during World War II and rebuilt after it. The renovation and modernization of the entire complex was completed in 1968. Main facilities include: Imperial Palace (Kyūden), Imperial Household Agency, Museum of the Imperial Collections, Archives and Mausolea Department.
Museum of the Imperial Collections was opened in 1993. It has collected around 9,500 works of art in its collection. It is mainly Japanese painting (Nihonga), calligraphy, sculpture, arts and crafts.
|Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum||33.||215||Japan||Tokyo||Art||More|
Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum was first opened in 1926 as the Tokyo Prefectural Museum of Art. The museum mainly exhibits the work of leading Japanese and foreign artists at temporary exhibitions. Exhibitions cover a very wide spectrum from traditional Japanese exhibitions from the Edo period, calligraphy and wood engraving to Art Nouveau, paintings by Van Gogh, Gauguin, Klimt, Munch and new wave art.
|Tokyo National Museum||38.||176||Japan||Tokyo||Art||More|
Tokyo National Museum was founded in 1872.
The most important part of the collection is ancient and medieval Japanese art, monuments of the Silk Road and Greek-Buddhist art.
The collection consists of over 110,000 objects.
Photo: Facade of the Gallery of Hōryūji Treasures, Tokyo National Museum
|Topkapı Palace Museum||198.||88||Turkiye||Istanbul||Historic house||More|
Topkapı Palace Museum opened in 1924.
Topkapı Palace was the residence of the Ottoman sultans. The construction of the palace began in 1459. Main parts of the palace: Imperial Gate, Four Courtyards, Harem, Imperial Treasury. Topkapı Palace covers an area of approximately 650,000 square meters.
The museum's collections include: Topkapı Dagger, Spoonmaker Diamond, religious relics, a collection of Ottoman and European weapons and armor, a collection of Chinese porcelain.
|Topography of Terror||113.||109||Germany||Berlin||Memorial||More|
The Topography of Terror opened to the public in 2010.
During the Third Reich (1933-1945), the site currently occupied by The Topography of Terror was the seat of the Gestapo, SS and the Reich Main Security Office. Nazi buildings were destroyed by the Allied bombing in 1945. Later the Berlin Wall passed through this place. A large part of the Wall in The Topography of Terror survived to this day. The first exhibitions in this place took place from 1987.
|Tower of London||134.||107||United Kingdom||London||Historic house||More|
Tower of London defensive and palace structure of the monarchs of England, used in the past also as a prison. The main building of the White Tower was erected in 1078 for William the Conqueror. Today the Tower of London is managed by Historic Royal Palaces. The Tower of London stores numerous armor, weapons, jewels and coronation insignia, e.g. the scepter with the world's largest Cullinan I diamond and the the Crown Jewels decorated with the world's second-largest Cullinan II diamond. The Tower of London is currently a tourist attraction of London open to visitors. The Tower of London is home to the Fusiliers Museum. The Tower of London covers an area of 4.9 hectares.
The Tretyakov Gallery founded in 1856.
The Tretyakov Gallery collects Russian art from the 11th century to the present day.
The collection has over 200,000 exhibits.
- Tretyakov Gallery
- House-Museum of Pavel Korin
- Museum-workshop of Anna Golubkina
- Apollinarius Vasnetsov Museum-Apartment
- House-Museum of Viktor Vasnetsov
- New Tretyakov Gallery
- in Kaliningrad, Vladivostok, Samara
|Tsarskoe Selo||129.||99||Russia||Pushkin||Historic house||More|
Tsarskoe Selo (the Tsarskoe Selo State Museum and Heritage Site) was the summer residence of the Russian Tsars. Expanded from the beginning of the 18th century to the beginning of the 20th century. The main buildings of the residential complex are Catherine Palace erected in the style of Russian Baroque and the classical Alexander Palace. There was now a lost Amber Room in Catherine Palace. Currently, the reconstruction can be visited at Catherine Palace. In the palace-and-park ensemble of Tsarskoe Selo covering an area of 300 hectares, there are scattered over one hundred historical monuments.
In 1918, Catherine Palace was opened as a museum.
|United States Holocaust Memorial Museum||93.||141||USA||Washington||Memorial||More|
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) opened in 1993.
The USHMM commemorates the Jewish victims of the Nazis.
The USHMM collection includes over 13,000 artifacts (works of art, furniture, architectural fragments, models, machines, tools, personal belongings, textiles, jewelry, numismatics), 50 million pages of archival documents, 86,000 historical photos, 1,000 hours of archival material, 9,000 oral history testimonies. 93,000 library items, a list of over 200,000 registered survivors and their families,
At the USHMM, the Hall of Remembrance has a prominent place, moreover, the USHMM has been presenting, continuously since 1993, two permanent exhibitions, numerous temporary exhibitions and traveling exhibitions traveling around the USA and around the world.
|Van Gogh Museum||48.||176||Netherlands||Amsterdam||Art||More|
Van Gogh Museum opened to the public in 1973.
The museum stores 200 paintings by Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890) from all periods of his work, 400 drawings and 700 letters. The collection enriches the paintings of other outstanding European painters from 1840-1920.
The museum exhibits the seventeenth-century ship "Vasa" excavated in 1961 from the seabed and restored. The museum building covers an area of 12,700 square meters, its volume is 117,000 square meters. The museum also has four other historic ships.
|Vatican Museums||6.||198||Vatican City||Vatican City||Art||More|
Vatican Museums made available to the public in 1787. The Vatican Museums consist of:
- Museo Chiaramonti
- Museo Sacro
- Museo Pio Clementino
- Museo Missionario-Etnologico
- Appartamento Borgia
- Sistine Chapel
- Gregorian Etruscan Museum
- Egyptian Museum
|Victoria and Albert Museum||19.||637||United Kingdom||London||Art, fashion, design,... performance, decorative arts||More|
Victoria and Albert Museum was founded in 1852 as the South Kensington Museum. The permanent collection consists of over 2.3 million exhibits.
V&A Family: V&A South Kensington, V&A Museum of Childhood (transforming), V&A Dundee, V&A at Design Society (Shekou, China), V&A East (project).
The museum is divided into four sections - collections: 1) Asia; 2) furniture, textiles and fashion; 3) sculpture, metalwork, ceramics, glass; 4) word and image. The collection includes applied and decorative arts as well as design, as well as post-classical sculpture. The collections of the Italian Renaissance belong to the largest outside Italy. The Asian department covers art from South Asia, China, Japan, Korea and the Islamic world. East Asian collections draw attention with ceramics and metalwork.
|Vietnam Museum of Ethnology||315.||131||Vietnam||Hanoi||National - ethnology||More|
Vietnam Museum of Ethnology (Bảo tàng Dân tộc học Việt Nam) opened to the public in 1997.
The 54 Vietnamese ethnic groups are featured in permanent exhibitions in the two-story Bronze Drum Building. The four-story Kite Building is an exhibition space for the cultures of peoples outside Vietnam, primarily from Southeast Asia. Architectural Garden outdoor exhibition on the area of 2 hectares presents ten works of folk architecture of ten ethnic groups in Vietnam.
The collections include over 30,000 artifacts.
The entire museum covers an area of 4.38 hectares.
|War Memorial of Korea||179.||116||South Korea||Seoul||Memorial||More|
The War Memorial of Korea, opened in 1994, commemorates military veterans and victims of wars.
In the covered exhibition halls and in the open air, you can see war memorabilia, weapons and military equipment from prehistoric times to modern times.
The museum has more than 13,000 exhibits in its collection.
It covers an area of over 20,000 square meters.
|Wawel Royal Castle-State Art Collection||181.||107||Poland||Krakow||Historic house, art||More|
Wawel Royal Castle-State Art Collection gives the date of its foundation 1930.
Wawel Royal Castle was built from the 10th century, the present castle was built in the 14th century and then extended over the next hundreds of years. From the end of the 11th century to 1606, it was the residence of the kings of Poland. It consists of a series of buildings from the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods arranged around the main, arcaded courtyard in the style of the Italian Renaissance.
At the permanent exhibitions Wawel Royal Castle you can see: the coronation sword Szczerbiec, a collection of 138 tapestries made in Brussels from around 1550 to 1560, the largest collection of Ottoman tents in Europe.
Wawel Royal Castle covers 7,040 square meters. There are 71 exhibition halls to visit.
The museum's branches are: Pieskowa Skała Castle and Manor House at Stryszów.
On the Wawel Hill, next to the castle, there is a cathedral, the construction of which began in the 14th century, on the foundations of two earlier cathedrals. Polish monarchs were crowned in the Wawel Cathedral. In the crypts under the Wawel Cathedral, there are the tombs of Polish kings, national heroes and national bards. The cathedral is surrounded by numerous chapels, one of them Sigismund's Chapel, conceived as the mausoleum of the last members of the Jagiellonian dynasty, is considered an outstanding example of the Tuscan Renaissance. The Cathedral Museum named after John Paul II, opened in 1978, operates at the cathedral.
|Westminster Abbey||197.||115||United Kingdom||London||Temple||More|
The Westminster Abbey built from the 10th century. The present church was built in the 13th century in the Gothic style.
The abbey, from the beginning of its history it was a Roman Catholic church and from 1539 it became a Church of England ("Royal Peculiar" - a church responsible directly to the sovereign).
The abbey, beginning with William the Conqueror (from 1066), is the site of the coronation of the kings of England and Great Britain. Since the 13th century, the abbey has also been the burial place of kings and distinguished persons.
The Westminster Abbey Museum has been open since 1908.
The width of the nave is 26 meters, the height of the nave is 31 meters, floor area is 3,000 square meters. The height of the towers is 69 meters.
|Whitney Museum of American Art||139.||92||USA||New York||Art||More|
Whitney Museum of American Art opened to the public in 1931.
It collects works of 20th-century and contemporary American art focusing on the works of living artists. Collection volume of 25,000 paintings, sculptures, graphics, drawings, photographs, films, videos, installations, new media art representing over 3,500 artists. His collections include works by, among others: Edward Hopper, Georgia O’Keeffe, Alexander Calder, Robert Rauschenberg, Jasper Johns, Jackson Pollock, Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol.
|World Museum||306.||88||United Kingdom||Liverpool||National – archeology,... ethnology, natural history, science||More|
The World Museum dates back to 1853. The World Museum is part of the National Museums Liverpool.
The collections of the World Museum are divided into:
- Antiquities, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Anglo-Saxon collections, approximately 80,000 artifacts
- World Cultures, collections from West Africa, East Asia, Tibet, the Northwest coast of the Americas, Amazon, New Zealand and New Guinea, about 40,000 objects
- Natural History, collections in the field of geology, botany, zoology, over a million specimens from around the world
- Physical sciences, a collection of scientific instruments and objects related to astronomy and space, particle physics, oceanography
Yad Vashem founded in 1953, open to the public in 1957 is the World Holocaust Remembrance Center. Yad Vashem commemorates the Righteous Among the Nations.
Yad Vashem is a complex with an area of over 18 hectares. It houses various museums, archives, research and education centers, monuments and memorials. Among others: Holocaust History Museum with a new Hall of Names and a Museum of Holocaust Art.
|Zaanse Schans||204.||88||Netherlands||Zaandam||Open-air and living... history||More|
Zaanse Schans is a former residential and industrial district filled with many historic wooden windmills, houses, warehouses, shops and workshops.
In 1998, the Zaans Museum was opened, which currently has over 32,000 items in its collection. The museums open in Zaanse Schans are:
Zaans Museum and Verkade Experience
Albert Heijn Museum Shop
Bakery Museum de Gecroonde Duyvekater
The Zaanse Time Museum
The windmills that can be visited in Zaanse Schans are:
De Gekroonde Poelenburg
Het Jonge Schaap
De Bonte Hen
De Bleeke Dood
Mini-mills on the Schans
Zhejiang Museum was founded in 1929 as the West Lake Museum. It has over 100,000 exhibits in its permanent collection.
His collection includes archaeological findings of the Neolithic Hemudu culture, jade artifacts and silk fabrics of the Liangzhu culture, bronze Yue instruments, ceramics from the Tang Dynasty in Yue kilns, a bronze mirror from Huzhou, and calligraphies and paintings of local painters from the Ming and Qing period.
|Zhejiang Museum of Natural History||250.||93||China||Hangzhou||Natural history||More|
The Zhejiang Museum of Natural History (ZMNH) has been operating since 1984.
It has branches in Hangzhou and Anji.
ZMNH has nearly 200,000 specimens in its collection (of which 50,000 are at exhibitions). which record the course of life on earth, present the history of man and nature. Permanent exhibitions are: Lobby, The Life Story of the Earth, Bioworld, Green Zhejiang, Land of Wild, Health and Education.
ZMNH covers nearly 33,000 square meters of space.
|Zona Arqueológica de Monte Albán||217.||111||Mexico||Oaxaca de Juárez||Archaeological park||More|
Monte Albán is one of the first cities in Mesoamerica, founded 500 years BC. It functioned as the ancient capital of the Zapotecs from the beginning of AD until 800 AD.
The city center is occupied by the monumental Main Plaza bordered to the north and south by large platforms. A series of smaller platform mounds surround the Main Plaza to the east and west. On the platforms to which the large stairs lead, there are, among others: Ballgame Court, Pyramid Complex, Palace.
In front of the city entrance on the north side are the Tomb Complex and the Museo de Sitio de Monte Albán. In the museum, you can see stone carvings called "Danzantes" depicting tortured and sacrificed prisoners of war. Zona Arqueológica de Monte Albán covers an area of 4,000 hectares.
|Zona Arqueológica de Palenque||254.||92||Mexico||Palenque||Archaeological park||More|
The oldest ruins of the Mayan city-state known today as Palenque date back to the 5th century BC. A city-state after the fall in the 9th century AD the jungle overgrown. The Spaniards first found themselves in Palenque in 1567, and in 1773 the exploration of the ruins began.
The most important buildings are Temple of the Inscriptions, Temples of the Cross group, Palace.
Among other things, the jade mask of King K'inich Janab Pakal and the mask of the Red Queen were found in the Palenque tombs.
By 2005, an area of approximately 2.5 square kilometers had been exposed from the jungle. It is estimated that it is not even 2% of the area occupied by the city-state, and over a thousand objects are still covered by the jungle.
Currently, Palenque is part of the Zona Arqueológica de Palenque (INAH) and the Parque Nacional Palenque. The Palenque houses the Museo de Sitio de Palenque 'Alberto Ruz Lhuillier' and the Museo del Textil Lak Puj Kul.
|Zona Arqueológica de Teotihuacán||108.||86||Mexico||Teotihuacan||Archaeological park||More|
Zona Arqueológica de Teotihuacán includes the ancient Mesoamerican city with the Pyramid of the Sun, Pyramid of the Moon, Temple of Cetzalkokal. Open to public visiting since the 1920s. The area open to visitors is currently 264 hectares.
|Zona Arqueológica de Tulum||171.||113||Mexico||Tulum||Archaeological park||More|
Tulum is a former Mayan city that was surrounded by a wall.
Its history dates back to at least the 6th century AD. Its peak development falls between the 13th and 15th centuries. After the occupation by the Spaniards in the 16th century, the city was deserted.
Main historic buildings: Temple of the Frescoes, Temple of the Descending God, El Castillo.